McKinney-Vento Supports for Students Experiencing Homelessness
Montcalm Area Intermediate School District coordinates the McKinney-Vento Homeless Grant to provide services, training, and supports to the school districts of:
- Montcalm Area Intermediate School District (MAISD)
- Ionia County Intermediate School District (Ionia ISD)
- Gratiot-Isabella Regional Education Service Districts (GIRESD)
As the grant coordinator, Montcalm Area ISD provides training, support, informational resources, and guidance to the Homeless Liaisons in each of the school districts of our four counties (Montcalm, Ionia, Gratiot, and Isabella). Each of our school district have a plan and a designated person, the Homeless Liaison, trained to work with homeless students and their families to provide homeless students the same educational opportunities as housed students by removing as many barriers to learning for homeless students as possible.
If you are a homeless student or family, or a school staff member seeking to support a homeless student and have questions, please contact the Homeless Liaison in your school district directly. The following resource includes the names, phone numbers, and email addresses for all of the Homeless Liaisons in Montcalm, Ionia, Gratiot, and Isabella counties:
The list is updated in real time and refreshes in in your web browser window automatically every 5 minutes to ensure accurate data. You can use this document in two ways:
- You can search the page using the search or magnifying glass feature on your smartphone or Ctrl+F to search by the name of your district.
- You can scroll through and look for your district by county. Counties are color coded to make finding your district faster.
- Montcalm is blue.
- Isabella is purple.
- Ionia is yellow.
- Gratiot is orange.
Resources for Schools
Title IX - McKinney-Vento Homeless - Michigan Department of Education
Homeless Liaison Toolkit (2020 Edition) - National Center for Homeless Education - This is a comprehensive resource that will assist both new and veteran local liaisons in carrying out their responsibilities. Drawing on the expertise of practitioners with over ten years of experience in implementing the McKinney-Vento Act, the 2013 edition of the Homeless Liaison Toolkit includes requirements of the law, good practices, sample forms, and links to resources.
4-SURE Homeless Liaison Launchpad: 4-SURE Consortium Member Liaisons can access the 4-SURE Homeless Liaison Launchpad internal support site (with credentials) to find internal consortium forms and information. No external access will be granted.
- Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (ESSA) Foster Care Provisions (Michigan Department of Education Memo, August 2016)
- Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) Foster Care Provisions
- Ensuring Educational Stability for Children in Foster Care (Joint Guidance on Foster Provision, ESSA, June 2016)
4-SURE McKinney-Vento Regional Consortium
Regional McKinney-Vento Homeless Grant Coordinator
4-SURE McKinney Grant Consortium (Montcalm, Ionia, Gratiot, and Isabella Counties)
Montcalm Area Intermediate School District
Community Impact Manager
Montcalm and Ionia Counties
Community Impact Manager
Gratiot and Isabella Counties