The Construction Trades program offers instruction in multiple tools and building areas. There will be training in the use of equipment and technology as it applies to site clearing, building layout, excavation, foundations, framing, roofing, siding, and finishing work for a new home.
Futhermore, you will leave the program prepared for many future possibilities such, as joining the workforce as laborers, apprentices, and possible trades people. Continuing a career in construction or tending to your own home and projects yourself is also a possibility. You will even be given preparation for business management.
You will be involved with various construction projects in a lab setting where safety is strictly emphasized. Although you do not need prior knowledge in construction, it is helpful and skills in math are needed.
With this program, you will:
- Learn techniques necessary for construction jobs
- Connect the bookwork to hands-on learning
- Learn how to do home projects yourself
- Become more independent and will be given more responsibility
- Be given opportunities to experience what a career in construction is like to help you make future decisions
What You Will Do
- Design and build a residential home, including framing, roofing, plumbing, wiring, and interior/exterior finishing.
- Work alongside industry professionals to create a variety of projects and structures from concept to completion.
- Operate a wide range of professional tools used for demolition, preparation, and construction.
What Students Are Saying
This class benefits me because I get to learn new things that other people do not always get to learn, and I will be able to use these skills for the rest of my life. —Jesse
Construction class helps me learn life skills that I will be able to use for the rest of my life. It is a super valuable class and we have fun with everything that we do. —Anonymous
I'm excited about this class because of the hands-on work. I like being able to move around, rather than sitting still, for two and a half hours. —Tea
It's the only math class I've ever liked. —Anonymous
I feel I am learning really useful skills for later in life when I have my own house. Knowing these skills will also help me get a good job in the future. —Tarik